Architecture and Sustainable Design
Your students will design the homes of tomorrow using sustainable materials, alternative energy and universal design techniques. Learners will experience this exciting STEM/STEAM industry as they grow their skills in 3D CAD, space layout, materials choice sustainable design practices.
By design, we have made this course easy to deploy. Neither teachers nor learners need any previous
CAD, construction or design experience. This is a media-rich and highly interactive hands-on course. Tutorial videos step students through sketching, 3D CAD, and structural layout.
Learners will layout the home mechanicals (electrical, plumbing and HVAC) for efficiency. Expert videos coach students through the broader concepts of design, style, and sustainability.
Along the way they will learn critical STEM skills, develop confidence, and build a college and career ready portfolio. Let this be an exciting introduction and great first step towards advanced education or their career.
- Platforms – PC, Mac, *Chromebook, *iPad, *Linux, *Android
- Length – Semester
- Career Cluster – Design and Pre-Construction
- Industry Certifications – CoA Certificate
- Level – Middle School, High School, Post-Secondary
- Course Delivery – Blended Learning, Online
- Student Competitions – Not Yet
- CEUs – Available for Teacher Training
- Prerequisites for Facilitator – None
- Prerequisites for Students – None
- 3rd Party Tools – Yes Required
Some of What Teachers Can Expect Their Learners to Achieve:
- Understand the basics of 3D CAD design, space use, measurements and dimensions
- Understand the Design Process
- Understand the basics of the structures and systems that are at the heart of residential architecture
- Demonstrate how to meet codes and correctly layout the necessary mechanicals of a sustainable building (Plumbing, HVAC and Electrical).
- Able to analyze, test and critically review work and use feedback to improve a home design
- How to present a green design and its benefits to a client
- Understand the legal issues including intellectual property
- Create a Portfolio of green home designs and a repertoire of green technologies and concepts that can easily be incorporated into future work
- Understand how to apply the problem solving process to create unique green home designs that meet specific client needs and location
- Learn and apply varied math concepts to support good design decisions
If you are interested in providing students with marketable skills and an education that prepares them to make a difference in the world, this is the course you have been searching for.